CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] coolant new

info.host@... wrote:

> In school we're not allowed to get the coolant for the lathes on us, when we
> use them once every few years. If I can say anything about it, it's that it
> made my DT project smell nice! My friend up the road works at a girls school
> near-by and told me they were having problems to do with health and safety
> and the coolant. Is it something to do with the emulsifiers and oils in the
> coolant or is it because the coolant will be full of metal particulate after
> a while that's small enough to be absorbed through the skin? The coolant we
> use in school is not an chemically emulsified oil but an oil / water mix
> according to the technician. I suppose the oil and water are combined in
> some sort of homogeniser just before they leave the nozzle.

The biggest problem, especially in flood systems, is that machine oils get into
the coolant as it drains back to the reservoir, preventing oxygen in the air
from getting to the fluid. The oil floats on top, and seals the reservoir. then,
anaerobic bacteria flourish, and it starts to stink. This is much worse in systems
that get intermittent use, like mine, and at a school shop.

The metal settles out very quickly, so it is not that.

I use synthetic fluids, and have found a good one for my use. No stink, no
glop growing on the fluid, etc. Flood systems just mix it all up, and the
pump acts as an emulsifier, for all practical purposes. You do see big
drops of oil floating on the water in the reservoir, in a soluble oil sump.

lew best 2001-06-03 19:41:13 UTC coolant new Rich D. 2001-06-03 19:50:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] coolant new info.host@b... 2001-06-03 23:43:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] coolant new Jon Elson 2001-06-04 10:27:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] coolant new