CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Allegro delay

on 2001-06-04 10:27:37 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Jon Elson <jmelson@a...> wrote:
> lonnietoons@y... wrote:
>
> > Hi Everybody,
> > I am putting together some PWM drives using 4 Allegro UDN2961W
chips
> > for each drive. 2 are cross connected to form a full bridge. In
their
> > application info it says "In order to prevent cross-over
currents, a
> > turn-on delay time of 3us is needed between the time an input
signal
> > for one of the half bridges goes high and the inpput signal for
the
> > other half bridge goes low." I am not that experienced with
> > electronics to know how to accomplish this. Can somebody recommend
> > a way for me to do this? I have figured out I can use the Allegro
> > 5804 unipolar driver to give me the proper steping signals. Is it
> > possible that the 5804 already has a delay built in going from
step
> > to step?
>
> I did the same in a PWM servo amp. I used a series resistor and
> a diode in parallel with it, and a capacitor to ground at the input
of the
> driver chip. Assuming the Allegro UDN2961 has CMOS inputs, you
> can use a 5.1 K Ohm resistor in series, and 680 pF cap to ground
> to get about the right delay. If the inputs are high=on, then you
want it
> to go low faster than it goes high, so you want the diode with the
> cathode (bar end) facing toward the signal source, and the anode end
> facing the 2961 driver chip. If the input is low=on then reverse
the
> diode. If the 2961 is not a CMOS input, the resistor value will
have to
> be lower, and the capacitor larger to get the 3 uS delay.
>

> | |
> | /|
> | / |
> -------| / |--------
> | | \ | |
> | | \ | |
> | | \| |
> | | | |
> | |
> | / / / |
> from ---------/ \ / \ / \------------- to UDN2961
> logic \ \ |
> input |
> |
> -------
> Bad ASCII Cap
> ---
> / | \
> |

> -----
> - Gnd
> .
>
> Jon

Thanks Jon for helping me out with this. I see I should have
specified that the chips need a logic low to turn on and they are
cmos. I was thinking a 10k resistor would hold each chip high. Should
this 10k plug into the Udn2961 side of the RC combo or the logic
input side? This is what I am thinking it should look like:

|\ | +5v
| \| |
-------| /|------- /
| |/ | | \10k
| | /
| 5.1k | \
(5804 sinks |
to ground) |
-------
------- 680 pf cap

gnd
Lonnie

Discussion Thread

lonnietoons@y... 2001-06-03 08:04:44 UTC Allegro delay Jon Elson 2001-06-03 11:34:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Allegro delay lonnietoons@y... 2001-06-04 10:27:37 UTC Re: Allegro delay Jon Elson 2001-06-04 12:15:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Allegro delay lonnietoons@y... 2001-06-05 05:31:04 UTC Re: Allegro delay