CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Profile finishing-suggestions?

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2001-06-09 07:49:37 UTC
Hi David:
The way it is dealt with in toolrooms, is a combination of 4 strategies:
1) small small stepovers. Often 0.002 or less for a 1/4 ball.
2) waterline profiling on near vertical surfaces, x parallel, y parallel,
radial or flowline toolpaths on more horizontal surfaces
3) biggest ballcutter you can crowd into the features.
4) handwork to finish.

Dressing a profile on a rubberized abrasive wheel is not difficult, but it
is difficult to do accurately.
I have had best success shaping them with a bench grinder.
Stick them in a Dremel or Foredom, and run them gently against the grinding
wheel while both spindles are running.
WEAR YOUR SAFETY SHADES!!!!!!!!
Wit a radius gage, and a good light source, it is amazing how accurate you
can get, but it takes patience, and it will stink up the shop.

Cheers

Marcus