CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] First note-Help Mariss Help us with shielding???

Posted by Tom Eldredge
on 2001-06-30 03:53:44 UTC
Dear Brave Soul,

Tim Goldstein is correct about the 320's and 340's and although I am a penny
pincher, I always seem to find some way to do something different with
whatever I buy, sometime in its lifetime. So, for me, the $30.00 extra per
drive gives me some added flexibility that I am buying. It also allows me
to choose many different encoders. Sometimes I want to try some other
machine, and with the built in multiplier, I can experiment on
configurations. Of course, that is 30 * 3 or 90 bucks. It would not hurt
to try one 340 and 2 320's, just so that you had one around. I will not
drag this point out.

As far as the encoder noise is concerned, what a puzzling thing. We used a
foil shielded cable for the servo motor drive voltage, and a separate foil
shielded cable for the encoder signals, and kept them separate all the way.
We also put a .1 uf cap at the encoder end of the cable between +5 and gnd.
Cables around 10 feet from drives. We grounded the encoder cable (no
twisted pairs inside) at the drive end, and left the motor shield
disconnected. The drives faulted constantly. We cut the ground wire
connecting to the shield on the encoder cable, and it ran with only an
occasional fault. We grounded the servo motor drive cable and the faults
stopped. Never could see much on the scope in the way of noise. Before we
found success, we also built a little amplifier and put it right in the
cavity of the servo motor with the encoder. The amplifier was made with a
74HC04 (per Marris's advice). We paralleled three of the inverters for A
and three for encoder B signal. It still faulted every time until we
shielded the servo motor power cable. Jon Elson has pointed out to us that
this foil shielding will not last the life of the cable if the cable flexes
all the time. So, keep that in mind when you select a cable. If I have
dragged this out too long to keep up, the bottom line is that the only
configuration that works at this time is to have the servo motor drive cable
shielded, and leave the encoder cable unshielded. Don't ask me why. I
don't know. I would have thought it better to shield the encoder cable. If
we try to ground the encoder cable sheild, it faults out all the time.

Electrical noise has been a real pain for me in many projects I have worked
on.