CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Enco Mill (9x49) XY ballscrew cradle???

jpmadden@... wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have information about an X/Y ballscrew attachment
> housing for an Enco 9"x49" mill. The assembly which captures the X
> and Y ballnuts and attaches to the saddle.
>
> The Bridgeport Series 1 casting is about 1" too short in center to
> center distance between the ballscrews. It is made of cast iron.
>
> I am in the middle of my first conversion and any help is greatly
> appreciated.

I made my own yoke. It was a big job, and although I measured everything
with great care, the screws still didn't line up correctly, so i had to make

shims to put the screws in correct alignment.

The original Bridgeport Acme nuts fit in cylindrical bores with a keyway.
I don't know if your nuts are adapted to fit the standard Bridgeport yoke
or are made specifically for ballnuts. Either way, it sounds like you
need to pull the nuts out of the Bridgeport yoke and either adapt
them to the Enco yoke, or make a new yoke to take the nuts.

If you make a new yoke, you need to be careful about getting the
two nuts to be accurately at right angles to each other. Also, there are
a number of interferences inside the saddle. I made a small mistake
in my yoke replacement, and lost 2 inches of Y travel. I have to pull it
out sometime and cut a little material off it where the interference
is happening.

jpmadden@g... 2001-07-14 17:19:47 UTC Enco Mill (9x49) XY ballscrew cradle??? Jon Elson 2001-07-14 17:58:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Enco Mill (9x49) XY ballscrew cradle???