CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI with DRO/Encoder Board

on 2001-08-27 06:00:18 UTC
Jon:
Thank-you for the reply. The X and Y axiis are working very nicely under
closed loop control. I was somewhat worried that using the Gekos the system
would have "feeback within feedback". But after experimenting I found the
system seems to work fine with X and Y. The following are the relevant
paramters:

P=5
I=0
D=0
FF0=0
FF1=1
FF2=0
Ouput_Scale 40000 0
Input_Scale 4000 0
Dead_Band = xxx

The encoders are 2000 counts/rev (quadrature). My Geckos are set to put out
10 pulses per every input pulse. With a shoptask this gives 0.00025" per
count that EMC can drive the motors with and 0.000025" / count of feedback
information from the encoders. The fact that the feedback sampling is so
much finer from the encoders probably helps overall loop stability. It is
very interesting to hear the motors under the condition of Dead_Band= 0.00.
You can hear (and see on the screen) the motors hunting for true position.
The hunting will stop as Dead_Band is increased and then the motors "sing"
as the normally do. That is the Geckos are "hunting" but the EMC ignores
this "hunting" and applies no correction.

Another interesting thing is that I had to change the polarity of the
Output_Scale for the Y axis. I will check this afternoon but I did not
think we had a wiring polarity error. Without this change EMC would come
back with the "I can't follow" error.

Now for the Z axis. When I try to move under a jog but I get a "I can't
follow" error no matter what I do. Setting Dead_Band to 0.00 should make
EMC "hunt". It does not under Z. My conclusion is that the feedback
information is not getting back in. (I can run motor under one of the other
channels (X or Y channel) and it works fine.). So it could be 1) The DRO
board Z input is not working. 2) Software.

From reading the mail I in this group I see that there is an experimental
BDI EMC source at www.linuxcnc.org. I will install this today and I will
attempt to pinpoint the problem.

By the way we were wondering has anybody got EMC to do CNC threading? Since
EMC can accept encoder information it seems that an encoder on the lathe
shaft and the last input on the DRO board would be a powerful combination.

David Kryskowski