CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: plasma torch height control

Posted by tom@t...
on 2001-09-10 08:33:50 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., rfs@c... wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Andy Olney" <andy@o...> wrote:
> > Try www.rutex.com for a plasma height control. Interesting site:
it
> also has a comparison of various step controlled servo products
including their competitor to the gecko drives. Andy

> I have been following topics re: plasma cutters. I have been
> experimenting with plasma height control hardware via embedded pc.
Trouble deciding how to determine torch height reliably. The Rutex
unit looks very interesting. Does anyone have experience with this
> product. Also the chart comparision between the Rutex servo driver
> and other products is quite informative. Thanx for the url! rfs.

Well, I sorta started this thread by asking if anyone had experience
with the Rutex company. I was concerned with sending several hundred
dollars over "there"; Dan Mauch replied that he had done business
with Rutex and it was satisfactory except for slow e-mail responses.
Someone then responded that the ShopBot people were going to
introduce a Torch Height Control unit seperate from their machines,
to which I replied that I would be interested if it was less cost
than the Rutex unit, to which someone else suggested I go to the
Rutex site to find a Torch Height Controller...(?!). Oh well, too
much information is better than too little.

There is also a circuit in the files section for a Window Comparator
that could be used as a basis for a THC. From what I am able to
glean, the voltage at the tip is a function of the arc length and can
be used to keep the torch at a constant height. Questions remain as
to what is the optimum voltage for any given thickness or type of
metal. The other options on the Rutex for safety are important.
Crashing your machine because of heat induced metal curl is not a
pleasant thought.

Discussion Thread

Don Chandler 2001-09-07 18:43:16 UTC plasma torch height control tom@t... 2001-09-09 05:42:28 UTC Re: plasma torch height control Andy Olney 2001-09-09 08:00:54 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: plasma torch height control rfs@c... 2001-09-09 19:01:15 UTC Re: plasma torch height control tom@t... 2001-09-10 08:33:50 UTC Re: plasma torch height control N & K McLellan 2001-09-22 07:21:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: plasma torch height control