CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Shop Computer

Posted by machines@n...
on 2001-09-23 13:04:11 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., wbbengtsson@g... wrote:
> Hello All:
> I recently asked the following questions on Usenet, and got some
> reasonably good feedback. I thought I would try the same again
here.
> My apologies to anyone who reads the following for the second time.
>
> Further to the original inquiry, I am a Boilermaker, building stuff
> that usualy has some subsequent heat treatment and machining. I
would
> NOT be accessing original drawings, but might be doing some simple
> CAD layouts. I am not paid to draft, but there are times when it is
> easier to manipulate pixels, as opposed to manipulating multi tonne
> bits of steel ,to see if the bits will fit.

Wayne
Yes shop computers are a good thing. No need to have the latest all
singing all dancing model anything up from a 486 will do.
Stick to Winxx as it's more of a standard and software and help is
more readily available. Linux isn't an operating system, it's a hobby
[ sorry guys <g> ]

For a CAD system you want something cheap and easy. Unfortunatly they
don't always go together. I run Fastcad on mine but I need this to be
compatable with the others machines on the network and also customers
files. Intellicad from http://www.cadopia.com is an Acad clone and is
free.
Turbocad do a free version but it's buggy where dxf files are
concerned. Drawing Board used to do the LT version free but I haven't
seen any links to it lately.

A good program for conversion is Convert from
http://www.joshmadison.com/software/
Again a free down load.

Another is a program called Mr Machinist.
It's advertised as being for CAD/CAM use but it has loads of trig
functions in it that are very good for day to day use. Link at:
http://www.wokingham.demon.co.uk/software/xfw-mrmachinist.htm

Next link is to a conversion calculator site at:-
http://www.calculator.org/
Program here is Calc98 a good programmable conversion calculator.

JS

Discussion Thread

wbbengtsson@g... 2001-09-23 06:46:40 UTC Shop Computer Fitch R. Williams 2001-09-23 07:13:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Shop Computer dlantz@a... 2001-09-23 07:30:12 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Shop Computer Marcus & Eva 2001-09-23 09:12:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Shop Computer machines@n... 2001-09-23 13:04:11 UTC Re: Shop Computer