CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Shop Computer

on 2001-09-23 07:13:50 UTC
On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 13:46:35 -0000, wbbengtsson@...
wrote:

> 1. What programs would you put on a shop computer?

I have a shop computer. It has WIN95 (which includes NotePAD) Excel, a
"G" code editor/communications package to communicate with my CNC
machine, MathCAD (which you probably wouldn't use enough to be worth the
cost) and VectorCAD.

>I plan on putting at least one inexpensive Cad program on. Which CAD program I haven't
>settled on yet.

There is a free AutoCAD clone called IntelliCAD that would probably do
what you talk about just fine.

>1a: What reference material would you make available (materials
>databases,
>quality standards, etc) and how would you "control" it to make sure
>it is as
>correct as it needs to be?
>
>2. Laptop VS. Desktop? Also, How old can this be and still be
>considered
>useful?

At this point, considering the prices, if I was going to buy one, I'd
probably get a P233 with WIN98. The one that is in my shop now is a
P133 with WIN95 - it would be nice if it had WIN98 for the improved USB
port (faster digital camera down load).

>3. Operating system? Not wanting to start any more religious wars,
>but if
>Linux has enough shop type software available, I would consider it.
>Currently, I don't do Linux.

If the computer is to be a tool, not a "project", since you don't do
linux now, I'd go with WINxx.

>3. Is paper output "necessary?". I am thinking that if it needs to be
>printed, it needs to be done on a "regular" set-up, not the shop
>P.O.S.

Is there a network in the shop? If so, can you use a network printer?

>4. Is a "shop computer" more of a distraction than an aid to
>productivity?

That depends ....

>OTOH, I have had to do full size "Layouts" for items that would have
>taken
>1/4 the time with any decent low end CAD system.
>
>Can you see the day when there is a drawer in your toolbox the right
>size
>for a laptop, just as there is now for Machinery's Handbook?

I'm working on a computer cabinet to go next to the CNC machine now.

>How
>about a
>wireless LAN to harass the boss with emails (WHERE'S THE STEEL YOU
>PROMISED, etc.)

I think a network connection is the biggest feature for a shop computer.
Its on the list for my home hobby shop computer - I want all my drawing
files to reside on one (1) disk so the versions get under control. The
ZIP disk sneaker net is driving me nuts!

Fitch
In So. Cal.

The FAQ for RCM is: http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal
Metal Web News at http://www.metalwebnews.com
The "Drop Box" is at http://www.metalworking.com/

Discussion Thread

wbbengtsson@g... 2001-09-23 06:46:40 UTC Shop Computer Fitch R. Williams 2001-09-23 07:13:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Shop Computer dlantz@a... 2001-09-23 07:30:12 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Shop Computer Marcus & Eva 2001-09-23 09:12:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Shop Computer machines@n... 2001-09-23 13:04:11 UTC Re: Shop Computer