CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Shop Computer

Posted by dlantz@a...
on 2001-09-23 07:30:12 UTC
SO glad you asked... here is my imput:
currently building a shop computer. it is semi obsolete, built from the
*most* dependable of the older components
P6SBA supermicro mother board (440BX chipset)
667 Mghz Celeron (fcpga on fcpga-slot 1 adapter)
128 meg ram (its sooooo cheap right now)
cheap case (BUT, it's got the removable sides, easier for assembly)
ATA66 IDE-RAID contoller, found it dirt cheap
on that controller, 2-256 compact flash cards, on pc-engine's adapter
board---for a total of 500 meg
on the primary IDE, 1-65 meg compact flash card (61 meg after all is said
and done)
OS: real-time linux (going to run EMC)
so, in addition to EMC, im also going to try cam-expert (made by the same
people who gave us qcad)

the reason I went with the compact flash (short of the HUGE performance
boost) was that it is a great deal more dependable, Very sutable for the
harsh shop environment i can expect to run into---vibration, dust,
tempurature... things that could *kill* a hard drive
also compact flash is pretty cheap right now ($130 for a 256 meg card!)
compared to a while ago

the reason I am going to linux is that it has everything I need, it's cheap
(free, if you know someone with a disk burner)
stuff you needed:
word processor: kword (free) gnotepad (Free) Wordperfect ($50 or so) lyxs
(think i spelled it wrong--free, VERY powerfull, but also very cryptic)
spread sheet: gnumeric (Free)---dont really use spread sheets... so i cant'
help you much there
CAD: qcad (free, powerfull, easy to learn) varicad (a couple hundred,
haven't used it myself, but looks powerfull) a host of other projects for
free drafting that i haven't tried but look VERY promissing
Don't know of unit conversion programs, i have an old dos one here, that
would probably run under WINE or DOSEMU (but i've never used them) i expect
you could pick up a linux one off the net after 10 mins of looking

problems you could expect to run into as a linux newbe: partitioning (alot
of windows people have never had to), loggin into a real multiuser
environment (what do you mean, i dont have permission... its MY computer?)
trying to install new software (what do you mean 'tar -xvf'? huh?... i have
to MAKE this? what?)
advise: get redhat 7.1 or something similar (i like 6.2... but im old
school i guess) when you get software to install, get is in RPM format, and
make sure you log in as root before you try to install it. as easy install
tool is gnorpm (you can type that into a terminal and it will pop right up
on the desktop) it will tell you if you have missing prerequisites and what
there names are (just do a web search for that rpm package)

my last big reason why to go with linux: on the older computers (like if
you got an old used pentium 1 or something) linux runs circles around
windows for speed and dependibility, and if you run into problems with
speed, linux is VERY configurable. anyhow, i really should get back to
work----Dave L.
(oh, and desktop all the way---laptop makers are not required to conform to
desktop standards---they really are pieces of junk!)