CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RC aircraft foam supplier?

Posted by Chris L
on 2001-10-26 20:05:37 UTC
You might want to try doing some searches on SignMakers Foam. Most all signmakers are using what they call HDU or High Density Urethane. It comes in many densities (by lbs) and
holds "an edge" like one only dreams of. I have heard it called Balsa Foam as well.

The stuff cuts excellent, with little airborne dirt. Seems to fall rather than float.

Bad news: It isn't cheap.

I have done some fuselages using the pink and blue, even the white beady stuff. The pink and blue is readily available (home depot), the white beady stuff can be found by
searching some of your insulation suppliers. I found a company who expands little balls into 8'X8' X 20' buns within 25 miles of my home. They saw it to any size you want ! BUT,
This stuff makes quite the mess !!! Almost impossible to Vacuum, blow off, or remove. It sticks to everything.

A note of caution: You can also generate a good deal of static electricity with this stuff. make sure things are grounded good so you do not have any spikes to your control.

Roofing firms have a Yellow foam they insulate roofs with prior to putting rubber roofs on. That seems to be a bit more rigid than pink and blue.

If you can't turn much up, re-email me and I will dig up some suppliers in some SignBusiness magazines. You might even find some good info at Signweb.com

Chris L