CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] routing acrylic/plexiglass

carlcnc@... wrote:

> A local sign shop has asked me to cut some stuff from 1/4" acrylic.
> I checked several manufacturers web sites for speeds and feeds.
> Came up with "nada"
> anyone have suggestions or rule of thumb for sfm,type of cutters
> -O-flute?]

It'll drive you nuts until you get it right. Speeds are pretty fast,
similar to wood, say, 1000 FPM. But, the big trick is to KEEP THE
FEED MOVING! Never let it stop, even for a moment, or the
tool witll turn into a big glob of goo! CNC makes this a lot easier,
of course. People use circular saw blades with good results.
End milling is tricky, wickedly sharp tools are necessary, dull tools
won't work at any speed or feed. Air jets, water coolant or some
other method is needed to keep the hot chips from staying in
the cutting area. Thin sections also have the tendency to chip
or just shatter like glass under cutting forces. it can be a little
tricky to fixture thin, complex parts. Just cutting square or solid
outlines isn't too hard, though. Carbide router bits have been used
with good success by some, including me, for some of these jobs.

carlcnc@e... 2001-10-26 18:32:18 UTC routing acrylic/plexiglass Chris L 2001-10-26 18:38:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] routing acrylic/plexiglass Jon Elson 2001-10-26 23:48:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] routing acrylic/plexiglass Bob Campbell 2001-10-27 06:23:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] routing acrylic/plexiglass Sven Peter 2001-10-27 15:38:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] routing acrylic/plexiglass JanRwl@A... 2001-10-27 15:51:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] routing acrylic/plexiglass