CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Simple DRO sensors - Cheap !

Posted by ccs@m...
on 2001-11-08 19:55:31 UTC
> $30???!!!
> I went to the site, and the "A2" was listed at $270!
> Could you please provide a part number? I am really eager to set up
> dros on my machines (and then do CNC), but I am just getting into
> this roll your own stuff...

some in the <$50 range which mount on existing shafts and thus don't
have their own expensive bearings and don't need a shaft coupling..
They will also sell you the mylar code wheel for around $10 and the
read head for $25 or so, you build your own mountings.

They also cary linear encoder strip, but making protective housings is
a real pain. Their new EM-1 readhead module was still 'coming soon'
when I called them last week... tried to impress upon them that
getting the 500 lines/inch (2000 pulses/inch) resolution out the door
should be a priority as us experimental CNC'ers would snap those up
eagerly.

You can also scrounge a similar rotary encoder (with the same pinout)
from an HP500-series deskjet printer, but it must be one of the older
ones as the later ones have a low-res mylar strip stretched across them
that the printhead carriage reads directly.

Seeing as you will need to get these signals into the computer, do you
know about the Kulaga/Mauch interface board? This is based on the
LS7266 chip which US digital sells, but far cheaper than any of their
interfaces. See http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch

Chris