CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: OT Electric Motor Question

Posted by Mark
on 2001-11-20 23:55:56 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
> tcsibor@v... wrote:
>
> > Sorry for being a bit off topic, but I know that the knowledge on
> > this group can help. I have a machine with a 3 phase 440 VAC
motor.

> > This motor (Bosch) has 6 leads and the wiring plate indicates
that
it
> > can be wired star (Y) or Delta. The plate also says that it is
"440 Y
> > (star)"
> >
> > Does this mean that if it were wired delta, it would operate on
220
> > VAC? If not, then why would one set it up for Delta over Star or
vice
> > versa?
>
> With 440 V L-L in the Wye configuration, the windings have 253 V
> across them. If you changed the motor to Delta, you'd need to
provide
> the same voltage across the coils, which are now wired L-L.
>
> This will probably work pretty well on US 220 V service, which
tends
> run quite high, and really is close to 250 V in a lot of places.
>
> You have to be real careful in rewiring the terminals unless you
have
> a diagram to go from. You want to break the floating center tap
wires
> apart, and connect each to one of the line terminals going around in
> the same direction. You can find which center terminal is connected
> to a line terminal with an ohmmeter.
Hello,I`m not sure if I`m putting this in the right place.If this
motor only has 440v and star and delta signs on the nameplate then I
would say that the six wires are the coil ends and the motor can only
be connected to 440v 3ph either star-delta or star.I can give you
more
info on how to identify the tails if you need it.all the best Mark

Discussion Thread

tcsibor@v... 2001-11-20 10:45:47 UTC OT Electric Motor Question Jon Elson 2001-11-20 21:59:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] OT Electric Motor Question Mark 2001-11-20 23:55:56 UTC Re: OT Electric Motor Question Sven Peter 2001-11-21 06:27:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] OT Electric Motor Question Jon Elson 2001-11-21 08:56:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: OT Electric Motor Question tcsibor@v... 2001-11-21 16:23:47 UTC Re: OT Electric Motor Question Sven Peter 2001-11-22 05:39:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: OT Electric Motor Question