CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: I'm stuck, please help...

Posted by Tim Goldstein
> From: "Marshall Pharoah" <pharoahm@...>
>
> Make will execute a makefile which checks the dependencies of the files
and
> compiles only those files which have been updated since the last build.
> By typing "make xconfig" you are telling make to use a file named
> xconfig.mak

While you are generally correct about the action of make, in this instance
the command "make xconfig" is not looking for a preexisting make file, but
shoulf bring up a graphic utility that allows you to create a proper make
file with the options you need.

> Generally in the dos/windows world, you would need a -f before the name of
> the
> makefile, but I have yet to wrok on anything large enough in linux to
> require a makefile.
> There are usually several other commands available, for instance -v will
> provide a verbose
> build. Typing "man make" should give you a basic description of the make
> utility
> and the commands.
>
> I don't have my linux box here, or I could check that out for you.

He is typing in the correct command, but as you suggest there is something
missing from the install. The other comands that are valid for building the
file make is going to work upon is "make menuconfig" or "make config". Both
of these will do the job, but are a considerably greated pain to use.

Tim
[Denver, CO]

Discussion Thread

Clint Bach 1999-10-16 05:01:00 UTC I'm stuck, please help... Tim Goldstein 1999-10-16 09:44:33 UTC RE: I'm stuck, please help... Marshall Pharoah 1999-10-18 05:10:04 UTC Re: I'm stuck, please help... Tim Goldstein 1999-10-18 08:13:56 UTC Re: I'm stuck, please help... Marshall Pharoah 1999-10-18 10:06:50 UTC Re: I'm stuck, please help... Clint Bach 1999-10-18 11:58:44 UTC RE: I'm stuck, please help... Marshall Pharoah 1999-10-19 04:17:45 UTC Re: I'm stuck, please help...