CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mark Williams ?

on 2001-12-02 02:50:13 UTC
Brian, Mike and others

This is straying off list a bit but I felt I should pitch
my bit in on this. I know Msoft has its problems, what corporation
on earch does'nt but as someone who has been involved in software
development since 1974 I have got to say that Msoft have achieved
a type of Unitary platform that the industry was crying out for
and which regulatory bodies were unable to deliver. The costs
incurred due to poor development tools and making sure your
software worked on all the different Operating Systems was
astronomical. The economies of scale have allowed Msoft to produce
an effective development environment with an extensive set of
tools for developers and the spread of Windows has been a further
benefit in preventing OS skills being spread too thinly.

Everyone in an IT related field at some time complains about
Msoft, even me, but at the end of the day their efforts have
delivered cost savings which drip down to us the user.

Also, due to Msoft, it is now much easier for many people
to move jobs as the tools they have been using are likely to
be in use in many other places.

To finish on a Freudian note. I think the real problem is
that old green eyed monster and the fact that one man benefitted
so much, also every other teckie that I meet seems to think that
they are much more intelligent than the man with much better ideas
and that it should have been them. This attitude seems to be
growing on both sides of the Atlantic and instead of congratulating
high achievers and aspiring to emulate their efforts we fall back
on negative energy (always the easiest option) to denigrate.

I know Msoft are big enough to look after themselves and do
not need any kind of defence league but sometimes it is good to
hear other views.

michael