CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base!

on 2001-12-06 17:06:34 UTC
Hi Ken,

This is a complex part!

For the top, do the main, rectangular pocket first, and later on do the
arc's from the side to finish.

Think of the bottom work as stages, do a big pocket first, then follow
that up with a pair of pockets.

As much metal is being removed, it would be best to drill and bore while
the block is most solid. Otherwise, it tends to get springy. Your part
has some bored holes going across the part, If they are critical, then
they should be done first. It is often difficult to drill and bore the
holes from both sides, if their alignment is critical. Otherwise, it
may not be as important when you drill them if they are just mounting
holes.

For the sequence of steps, you'll be milling in several setups. Work
will be on top, bottom, and ALL sides! Square up a block to the
required finish dimensions first. And select a reference corner for all
measurements.

Drill and bore the three critical cross-bores (if that's what they are)
first.

Drill and bore the front hole (does it go through to the back?) next.

The top holes should next be drilled and tapped, before the top is
milled.

Hog out the top, making a simple rectangular pocket down to the point
where there are curves in the corners (we'll do that next from the
sides).

Turn part on it's side once again, and do the final metal removal to
give you the arc's (both sides).

Flip part upside down, and mill out the big rectangle down to the point
where the center becomes an island.

Then do the two deeper pockets, which at this point are just the sides
(the center is already gone).

So as I see it, you have a "part program" basically for each if the
sides.

At least that's the way I see it. I'm there are many other ways to do
the part.

Interesting project!

HTH

Alan KM6VV

mszollar wrote:

> Just to digest what you suggest. Say the part I am making is
> this: "http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?
> Screen=PROD&Store_Code=heli&Product_Code=404307&Category_Code=404"
>
> What you are saying is that if I where milling the bottom (as shown
> in the image) I would have a border (representing the outside) and
> (here is where I get lost) 1 rect for the middle and 1 rect for the
> ends or do I want 1 rect for the middle and 1 rect for each different
> depth milled in the ends? I get lost in the visually there is 1
> rectangle for each end milling, but that rect is (logically) broken
> into 3 rect; 2 outers deeper than the middle.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

Discussion Thread

mszollar 2001-12-06 13:21:07 UTC newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! imserv1 2001-12-06 14:47:48 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! mszollar 2001-12-06 15:48:18 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! imserv1 2001-12-06 16:22:48 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-12-06 17:06:34 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! imserv1 2001-12-06 18:49:53 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! Smoke 2001-12-06 19:09:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-12-06 19:18:35 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! mszollar 2001-12-06 22:17:57 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! mszollar 2001-12-06 22:20:29 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-12-06 23:21:23 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! Smoke 2001-12-07 07:44:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! currinh@O... 2001-12-07 10:30:02 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base!