CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base!

Posted by mszollar
on 2001-12-06 15:48:18 UTC
Just to digest what you suggest. Say the part I am making is
this: "http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?
Screen=PROD&Store_Code=heli&Product_Code=404307&Category_Code=404"

What you are saying is that if I where milling the bottom (as shown
in the image) I would have a border (representing the outside) and
(here is where I get lost) 1 rect for the middle and 1 rect for the
ends or do I want 1 rect for the middle and 1 rect for each different
depth milled in the ends? I get lost in the visually there is 1
rectangle for each end milling, but that rect is (logically) broken
into 3 rect; 2 outers deeper than the middle.

Thanks,
Ken

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "imserv1" <imserv@v...> wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "mszollar" <mszollar@g...> wrote:
> > Here I am trying to pick cad/cam software, trying to draw parts.
> > just don't get it! The part I am trying to draw is a motor mount
> for
> > an RC motor.
>
> Visualize the part as if it were mounted in a mill vise. Draw it
as
> if you were the spindle looking down onto it from the top (Top
view).

> This is the orientation that the G-code and toolpaths will be setup
> for pocketing, contouring and drilling.
>
> When you first start out, it will be easier to draw a separate
layout
> for the top and for the bottom, maybe in a separate drawing
> altogether. Same for each side is there are holes, contours and/or
> pocketed details.
>
> If you have a Cam program with a movable coordinate axis, you may
be
> able to draw multiple views in the same CAD drawing, and generate
> programs for each side that is needed, repositioning the coordinate
> axis to make it relative to the zero point that you will use for
> machining a particular side.
>
> If your CAM is 3D aware, you may be able to draw the entire part in
> 3D, orient the coordinate axis to the zero point of a given
> workholding position, and generate the Toolpaths and CNC program
from
> the single model. This is how the Vector 4th axis positioning and
> rotary works. You can mount a prismatic part in a chuck and
machine
> details in 4, 5, or more sides with one clamping.
>
> Beginning work however is usually machining holes and pockets in
flat
> plates. If the part has all through holes and no pockets
(contoured
> areas that do NOT go all the way through the material), you will
only
> need a layout drawing of only one view to complete the entire CNC
> program with most Cad-Cam programs.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Fred Smith
> IMService We are THE source for low cost Cad-Cam.

Discussion Thread

mszollar 2001-12-06 13:21:07 UTC newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! imserv1 2001-12-06 14:47:48 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! mszollar 2001-12-06 15:48:18 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! imserv1 2001-12-06 16:22:48 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-12-06 17:06:34 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! imserv1 2001-12-06 18:49:53 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! Smoke 2001-12-06 19:09:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-12-06 19:18:35 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! mszollar 2001-12-06 22:17:57 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! mszollar 2001-12-06 22:20:29 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-12-06 23:21:23 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! Smoke 2001-12-07 07:44:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base! currinh@O... 2001-12-07 10:30:02 UTC Re: newbe CAD/CNC question - trying to get past 1st base!