CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC approved hardware

Posted by Ian Wright
on 2001-12-09 03:21:23 UTC
Hi Antson,

It sounds as though you have run foul of the X-gremlins!! There is a list of
supported hardware but you will most likely be able to get your existing
stuff to work if you persist. I suspect that the most likely problem is that
you are using an older monitor and that XFree hasn't worked out its
horizontal and vertical frequencies right. Do you see an attempt at a screen
but repeated several times in vertical stripes? or maybe just a fuzz of
horizontal lines? The first thing to do is to determine just what hardware
you have if you can - exact make and model of video card and, particularly
what chip it uses (S3, ATI Rage, Mach64 etc.) - and, if possible, what the
horizontal and vertical refresh rates of your monitor are (you should be
able to find this info by doing web searches on the make and model number on
Google or something similar). Get as much information as you can.
Then, start up linux in 'safe mode' by pressing the 'tab' key just as lilo
starts and typing in 'linux single'. this will take you to a text prompt.
Then you need to type 'xconfigurator' or, if this doesn't work 'XF86Setup'.
either of these programs will let you re-choose the video setup for your
system and you first choose the appropriate video card (if yours isn't
autodetected or in the list, try to find a similar generic one - 'mach64, S3
etc'). Then select a suitable monitor. This may be a little more difficult
but a good bet is to try the various Generic ones in turn, testing each time
a change is made, until you find a setting which works OK. Then you can
select the most appropriate screen resolution remembering that EMC is
optimised for 800 x 600.

Ian
--
Ian W. Wright