CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Point Cloud Converter Needed

Posted by Doug Fortune
on 2002-01-07 23:29:33 UTC
vrsculptor wrote:

> Help! Do you have any suggestions on how to convert 3D point cloud
> data into something useful (STL, DXF, ...)? I finally got my homebrew
> laser stripe digitizer working enough to get good data out but now
> that I got it I'm not sure what to do with it. A couple of hours of
> Google searching didn't turn up anything too hopeful. I've got
> STLTrans which supports XYZ input but I haven't been able to make it
> work yet.
Perhaps Fred can help you out with STL Trans.

Once upon a time I wrote a vectorized XYZ to STL output program in C.
It worked well, and is perfectly suited to cnc point gathering.
However, it needs a raster (ie perfectly rectangular matrix in
X & Y with the associated Z). A random point cloud won't do for
this program.

Whomever wants a copy (of the source) can email me directly,
and I'll try digging it up.

It is interesting to note that there are actually two ways of
making up the STL triangles from such a matrix. Offsetting
every second row makes a valid STL file which has much much
nicer results than the naive implementation.

Doug Fortune
http://www.cncKITS.com

Discussion Thread

vrsculptor 2002-01-07 20:10:35 UTC Point Cloud Converter Needed av1a 2002-01-07 20:31:31 UTC Re: Point Cloud Converter Needed Doug Fortune 2002-01-07 23:29:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Point Cloud Converter Needed IMService 2002-01-08 06:46:06 UTC Re: Re: Point Cloud Converter Needed