CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Software bug fixes and updates

on 2002-01-10 07:17:26 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., dlantz@a... wrote:
> at a previus job, i used fastcad for about a year and a half. it
>was a very
> old dos-based one. all in all, i was very happy to upgrade to acad
>v14,
> HOWEVER this was mostly due to the age of the fastcad. comparing
>it to
> version 11 of autocad (released at the same time) it was leaps and
>bounds
> ahead. it was well thought out. we DID download a (at that time)
>recent
> version (several years ago), and i WAS very impressed with it's
>programing
> ability, i was able to write a script that would intelligently take
>the old
> fastcad files and translate them over to a new autocad format, the
>global
> selection cababilities and user friendly object filtering capablity
>made it
> pretty simple (reminds me of QCAD really...)
> anyhow, just wanted to add my experience---Dave L.

Hi Dave,
It's been windows full 32 bit for quite a while now.
Can't understand why you had to write a script to convert your files.
Fastcad has always had a convert command under the file menu.
I've often took whole groups of symbols drawn as either dxf or dgw
and converted then to another format with Fastcad.
Because it's still written in assembly language is very, very fast.
A neat trick you can do is to open a big drawing, modify it or query
a part, resave and close down before an Autocad user has got the
splash screen up. The biggest file I currently have on my machine is
a 1.3 meg layout drawing. From clicking on the desktop icon to on
screen takes between 3 and 5 seconds on a P350.

John S.

Discussion Thread

stevenson_engineers 2002-01-10 01:15:50 UTC Software bug fixes and updates dlantz@a... 2002-01-10 05:40:49 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Software bug fixes and updates stevenson_engineers 2002-01-10 07:17:26 UTC Re: Software bug fixes and updates dlantz@a... 2002-01-10 07:27:46 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Software bug fixes and updates Ray 2002-01-10 10:57:29 UTC Re: Software bug fixes and updates stevenson_engineers 2002-01-10 13:20:03 UTC Re: Software bug fixes and updates