CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for assistance in connecting COMPUMOTOR DB DRIVE

on 2002-01-14 18:08:52 UTC
Eric,

I have a 3 Compumotor DB drives (P/N 88-006895) that are similiar in
appearance to the one described below.
(Black case, approx 5 x 8 x 1 inches in size)
They are TERRIFIC controllers... I'd love to get my hands on one or two
more.
This is from some handwritten notes that I received when I bought my
controllers. Your mileage may vary...

CURRENT = 1A Output Drive per 1K Ohm of resistance
Up to 4K Ohms. Max current is 4 Amps.

Use of a 1% resistor is recommended, but I run mine with a standard 10%
(Check value if going for max current (4K). I don't know if its over-current
limited)

Just connect a resistor between the pins.

RES = Resolution (This is a microstepping controller, 20Khz fixed
frequency chopper)

Resolution A B C
----------------------------------
25000 1 1 1
25400 0 1 1
18000 1 0 1
10000 0 0 1
5000 1 1 0
2000 0 1 0
400 1 0 0
200 0 0 0

The inputs float normally high (1 state) +5 if unconnected, 0 state is tied
to LOGIC.
All resolutions assume 200/steps revolution motor.
DO NOT TIE LOGIC GROUND ANYTHING BUT THE A, B or C inputs.

STEP and DIR inputs
Connect to your parallel port of PC using software defined pins
I have the (-) side of each tied together and going the ground
of the parallel port.

STEP signal requires 1 uSec min pulse @ 20ma
(The inputs are optically isolated so you need the current to drive the
optoisolators)

DIR must be stable for 80us before step is received.
logic 1=CW 0=CCW

Motor = 4 lead typical, if using 6 lead center taps unconnected.
8 lead motors can be either series or parallel connected (Check current)

Hope this helps,
Paul D. Fincato