CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutting force

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-01-16 20:23:01 UTC
I was hoping that someone wood (pun) have a comment on this. When I built my
machine, I struggled thru all of the typical "Math" I found in various
vendors manuals and books. the problem was that one very important
denominator was unknown by me, that was the same thing you are asking.

I am sure that the OEM builders have conducted "drag" tests using
conventional wood routers connected to a scale of sorts. By dragging the
spindle through various densities of material with different diameter and
shaped bits, as well as different Spindle RPM settings and then "logging"
them would create an interesting database of information.

The trick may be to have a consistant rate of pull. So, I am thinking this
test needs to be done with a gantry machine pulling the router along at fixed
and dependable rates. Testing at different depths would reveal a interesting
twist.

I know what I can expect to see happen with a sharp bit now, but ,I would
still like to know that elusive magic set of numbers as to "how much pressure
or push" does it take to........

I suppose I could go and get one of those really expensive "data-aquisition"
Stress devices they use to measure "Boom Stress" on the Locally built
Manitowoc Cranes,

But, from what I have seen, I don't think all of those engineers that
"stand around during" that process, would fit in my basement !

Chris L