CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Distributor CO-Op? Was Re: Smart Motor hopes dashed

Posted by aspaguy
on 2002-01-29 21:27:16 UTC
This unfortunate situation begs for a solution. In our great
countries history, the American Farmer had much the same problem with
buying supplies. Middlemen made the products to costly for the family
farm. Groups of farmers banded together to form Co-op stores where
the groups buying power was stronger than the individuals. It would
seem to me That a group of 2000 hobbiests should be able to create
some pretty good buying power. This obviously would require some
thought and input from various members to create a co-op hobbiest
distributorship, but the benifit of group purchasing power could be
terrific. Not only could it benefit price wise, but, engineering
wise, many companies might be more helpful in creating solutions for
a market of 2000 than for an individual.
This concept would probably require an individual to act as a
purchasing agent for the group. this person would theoreticly not
actually purchase anything, but rather set up "accounts" for the
group. Possibly, we could use something such as paypal to handle the
cash flow to the suppliers but we would need to order through the
group to realize the benefits of the group and to increase it's
purchasing power. The individual selected as a "purchasing agent"
would need to be experienced in the field so as not to frustrate the
suppliers with newby stuff, after all, if they had time for that,
they wouldn't be using distributors in the first place. This might
require a considerable effort on that persons time, time that
individual might not have.
Well, if this Idea sounds good to anyone out there then lets
brainstorm it a bit. If not then I guess we can let it die like
Methadras' s smart moter project.
Thanks,
Dale

---
In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "methadras" <aymani@a...> wrote:
> in recounting to you guys the wonderfulness (is that a real
word...?)
> of smart motors and me deciding to go with them as my solution to a
> cnc retrofit, i finally decided to call them and place an order...
> well, when i called animatics for a quote they shuffled me off to a
> distributor near me (i personally hate the distributorship model of
> sales), so i called the distributor and for the 625 oz-in. mid-size
> nema34 motor, i was quoted $1500 per motor!!! with the smallest
(aka
> weakest) motors starting at $500...
>
> sakes alive, i about wet myself when i heard that price... and i
> became instantly disheartened at the hopes that a simplistic
solution
> to my cnc retrofit was crushed by the daunting price per motor... i
> personally think that those prices are outrageous for any motors
> actually, but hey, that's just me... don't some of these companies
> know that they can have a large potential hobbiest market out there
> if they charged a little, er, well, A LOT less for stuff like
this...
> sorry, that's my frustration talking...
>
> oh well, its back to plan b... hey, any of you guys have those
black
> boxes finished yet...? hehehehe...

Discussion Thread

methadras 2002-01-29 16:13:39 UTC Smart Motor hopes dashed Fitch R. Williams 2002-01-29 18:16:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Smart Motor hopes dashed methadras 2002-01-29 18:27:00 UTC Re: Smart Motor hopes dashed ccs@m... 2002-01-29 18:38:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Smart Motor hopes dashed aspaguy 2002-01-29 21:27:16 UTC Distributor CO-Op? Was Re: Smart Motor hopes dashed Fitch R. Williams 2002-01-29 21:35:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Distributor CO-Op? Was Re: Smart Motor hopes dashed Bill Vance 2002-01-30 04:27:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Distributor CO-Op? Was Re: Smart Motor hopes dashed ballendo 2002-01-30 06:29:44 UTC Re: Smart Motor hopes dashed methadras 2002-01-30 10:08:16 UTC Re: Smart Motor hopes dashed methadras 2002-01-30 10:15:05 UTC Re: Smart Motor hopes dashed ballendo 2002-01-30 12:20:17 UTC Re: Smart Motor hopes dashed aspaguy 2002-01-30 19:21:39 UTC Distributor CO-Op? Was Re: Smart Motor hopes dashed aspaguy 2002-01-30 19:51:12 UTC Re: Smart Motor hopes dashed