CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My broken Briddgeport

kuchean wrote:

> Where I live is kind of strange:Stratford, Ct. I have been driving by
> the Bridgeport Machine factory for years. All they tell me is that
> the control is obsolite and will have to be completely replaced. No
> one talks diagnosis or repair. Bpt. repair people would have to come
> from either Boston or Philly.
>
> It was supposidely in working order before the I picked it up.

The bad news is that when you move old CNC controls (or old computers
and other complex electronic systems), they almost never work properly
(or at all) when they arrive. You at least have to reseat connectors,
find fuses that have failed due to vibration, replace light bulbs that
have failed from vibration, etc. etc. Chips that are socketed need to
be reseated in the sockets, and on and on. Experts can diagnose the
error codes or other symptoms and know where to look for the
problem, but those unfamiliar with the specific model are left to
their best guesses. I have been this route several times with
ancient computers and CNC controls. I have, in fact, gotten them
running, but the results were not very good, as they continued
to be plagued by breakdowns every few weeks.

There are outfits other than the manufacturer who DO repair the
old controls, but they know all about this, ie. that you'll be a repeat
customer!

kuchean 2002-02-12 01:47:24 UTC My broken Briddgeport Bill Vance 2002-02-12 03:28:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] My broken Briddgeport Sven Peter 2002-02-12 05:40:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] My broken Briddgeport Jon Elson 2002-02-12 11:15:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] My broken Briddgeport kuchean 2002-02-12 15:58:16 UTC Re: My broken Briddgeport Jon Elson 2002-02-12 20:26:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My broken Briddgeport Raymond Heckert 2002-02-12 21:48:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] My broken Briddgeport Jon Elson 2002-02-13 10:02:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] My broken Briddgeport