CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Troubleshooting, part II

on 2002-02-20 12:36:50 UTC
Hi, Rick:

What values have you used for min and max velocity as well as acceleration?

Try a min velocity of about 500 and a max of 600. Use something like 50 for
acceleration. Now, these numbers are too low to do any reasonable machining,
but we're trying to get the motors working.

What pin-outs have you set up in TurboCNC?

For Dan Mauch's 2 amp board, X = 2 - Step, 3 - Direction; Y = 4 - Step, 5 -
Direction; Z = 6 - Step, 7 - Direction.

Make sure that the printer port is set to $378

Make sure that the limit switches are disabled. If they're not, you won't
turn the motors even if everything is connected correctly and TurboCNC's
pinouts are set properly.

Do you have an oscilloscope available? How about an analog voltmeter? If you
have a scope, look at the pins while you use the MDI mode to generate a
rapid move (G00 X10 Y10 Z10). You should see a pulse train on lines 2, 4,
and 6. Also, look at the level on pins 3, 5, and 7 and note whether the line
is at logic 0 or logic 1. If you don't see any pulses on the even numbered
lines, you've got to check the configuration. If you see a pulse train, wait
till TurboCNC stops sending the train and issue the command G00 X0 Y0 Z0.
You should see the same pulse train on the even numbered lines and should
find that the odd numbered pins should be at opposite logic levels than they
were when TurboCNC was executing the first command.

Hope this helps.

-- Carol & Jerry Jankura
Strongsville, Ohio
So many toys, so little time....