CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Stepper motor control boards

Posted by hansw
on 1999-12-02 20:15:18 UTC
Hi All,
Well there are some problems with Microsoft and Java, but the courts
forced Microsoft to comply with Java spec. Since then they have issued
all new version of development code for all products that use Java..
They are compliant.

It is stuff like this that needs to looked at...

> Simply reading a page with IE5 can allow a malicious web site operator
> to easily gain access to your machine. It's not that I have my credit
> card numbers or passwords

I pose a question ( I know the answer )

How in the world can someone gain access to my computer because they
read my web page at swbell.net ?

They can't...

However if I had DSL or a T1 line and a permanent connection they would
have to battle with a very heavy duty firewall... Sure on a direct
connection and determined hacker with enough bandwidth and time can
break into almost any system.. But not through my web page which is on a
different server..

There are millions of web pages composed with FrontPage and I have
tested mine with Netscape 4.5, 4.6 (two version) and 4.7 It also works
with IE5...

If you are going to play with these high tech toys, then get the latest
updates; if not don't complain because you can't see half of the Worlds
web pages..

I will not redo my web page because a small handful of people can't
install and upgrade their browsers.

regards and have a good day.

Hans Wedemeyer

drew@... wrote:

> I do agree about the problems with ActiveX and such but I was
> able to read Hans' page with Netscape 4.7 on an SGI Octane.
>
> Drew
>
> On Dec 2, 12:28pm, beer@... wrote:
> > Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Stepper motor control boards
> > From: beer@...
> >

> > I suspect that unless a person has IE 5 with all the ActiveX
> controls
> > and Microsoft Java ( as opposed to the REAL Java ) installed, they
> won't
> > be able to read Hans' page with any version of Netscape.
> >
> > That is, to read the page, Netscape will need the IE5 "features"
> that
> > allow
> >
> > 1. coolness
> > 2. almost any hacker anywhere complete and total access to your
> > computer.
> >
> > Simply reading a page with IE5 can allow a malicious web site
> operator
> > to easily gain access to your machine. It's not that I have my
> credit
> > card numbers or passwords
> >
> > Microsoft has published about 70 to 80 security related patches and
> > fixes for IE5 ! ( They EMail me 3 - 5 announcements a week ) These
> are
> > just the ones they admit to and have fixed, the complete list of
> security
> > problems is much longer. Some of these holes are very scary indeed.
> >
> > It's a shame that all that hard work Hans put in is available to so
> few,
> > and requires the installation of software that no one in their right
> > mind would ever install.
> >

> > Alan
> >-- End of excerpt from beer@...
>

> --
> Drew Rogge
> drew@...

> Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes
> there.
> For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
> bill,
> List Manager

> [Image]
> Click Here

Discussion Thread

Greg Nuspel 1999-11-25 05:18:02 UTC Stepper motor control boards Paul Devey 1999-11-25 17:27:45 UTC Re: Stepper motor control boards Douglas J.Martins 1999-11-29 08:53:02 UTC Re: Stepper motor control boards Greg Nuspel 1999-11-29 11:10:54 UTC Re: Stepper motor control boards Douglas J.Martins 1999-11-29 11:33:13 UTC Re: Stepper motor control boards hansw 1999-11-29 11:41:40 UTC Re: Stepper motor control boards Douglas J.Martins 1999-11-29 11:49:29 UTC Re: Stepper motor control boards Robert Bachman 1999-11-29 12:28:57 UTC Re: Stepper motor control boards hansw 1999-11-29 13:13:12 UTC Re: Stepper motor control boards hansw 1999-11-29 13:15:51 UTC Re: Stepper motor control boards Ian Wright 1999-11-29 14:36:32 UTC Re: Stepper motor control boards beer@x... 1999-12-02 12:28:55 UTC Re: Stepper motor control boards drew@x... 1999-12-02 15:39:11 UTC Re: Re: Stepper motor control boards hansw 1999-12-02 20:15:18 UTC Re: Re: Stepper motor control boards Matt Shaver 1999-12-02 21:01:12 UTC Re: Re: Stepper motor control boards Darrell 1999-12-02 21:19:29 UTC Re: Re: Stepper motor control boards