CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Double Monitors

Posted by Chris Clough
on 2002-03-10 07:59:23 UTC
Hi John,

It's very easy to do... Apples have had that capability since the
release of their System 7 OS.

Since you're running Windows a few things need to be looked at:

a) What version are you running (95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT4.0, 2000, or XP
Home/Pro)
b) Graphics card(s)

If you have Windows 95, you can count this idea out - it's not easy or
feasible to do. I've done it, but it took some real hacking and
additional software to do. You can get Windows NT 4.0 out of the picture
too... it's not fun either.

If you have Windows 98 you're getting warmer - this usually works out
pretty well, but with the earlier releases of 98, the graphics card were
specific (S3 based ONLY)

Windows 98 Second Edition fixed many of the problems that its precursor
had - it also made doing dual+ head video much easier. The pickiness of
98 was fixed, and many more video cards were able to be used. Windows ME
is 'pretty' good about multiple screens also.

Windows 2000 and XP are the best way to go for dual head apps. It'll
auto recognize the fact you have two display adaptors, and you can go
from there in terms of options, positioning etc. XP is a tad easier as
it is XP - it can't get any easier then that.

If you're just going to purchase a new adaptor, find one that has dual
head outputs. ATI and 3D Labs makes some great ones. If you have TWO
indv. cards, remember you must have one for AGP and one for PCI (if your
computer supports AGP) Using two of the same cards is always preferred.

Good luck,
-Chris Clough
Xtech Engineering
http://www.xtecheng.com/