CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: linux/emc/windows

Posted by imserv1
on 2002-03-10 18:41:26 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Al Schoepp <schoepp4887@r...> wrote:
>Someone recommended VMware as a good place
> to look. Does anyone have any other suggestions, free would also
be nice
> :). Since I'm a linux newbie I would like to avoid experimental
software
> like WINE.

Al, the other one that we know works fairly well, with Vector is
Win4lin. You will still need to have an MS Windows license running.

http://www.netraverse.com/products/win4lin30/

Good luck.

I'm happy to report that my first linux installation only took 30
hours. Had to:

-Replace Harddrive, had only 1.7Meg and too slow
-Add 32 meg memory, needed 64 meg total
-Replace S3 based Video Card. Paul and Ray had both lamented these,
so I was not too surprised.

Biggest problem was that each problem had to be trouble shot
independently and could not be done until the install had been
unsuccessfully attempted.

Dinked around with it a lot (read this as a LOT). While it's true it
has been running ever since (about 3 weeks), I don't have any useful
software installed either. ;-)

Biggest disappointment was that the version that I installed was an
old Mandrake and it was not even close to supporting the latest
WINE. I'm now checking the Linux Boxes at Comp USA to see if they
have a newer one that will support Open GL a little better. If
Intellicad will run, then Vector should too.

I must admit that KDE is almost usable. (begrudgingly) But I'll
probably never use Netgoat again since AOL bought them (sorry Bill).

Best Regards,

Fred Smith
IMService

Discussion Thread

Al Schoepp 2002-03-10 17:53:27 UTC linux/emc/windows imserv1 2002-03-10 18:41:26 UTC Re: linux/emc/windows Matt Shaver 2002-03-10 21:01:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: linux/emc/windows Ian W. Wright 2002-03-11 07:06:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linux/emc/windows Tom Benedict 2002-03-11 07:54:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linux/emc/windows rehenry 2002-03-11 08:27:40 UTC Re: linux/emc/windows