CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linux/emc/windows

Posted by Tom Benedict
on 2002-03-11 07:54:32 UTC
On Sun, 10 Mar 2002, Al Schoepp wrote:

> I'm finally getting tired enough of windows that I'm thinking of learning
> linux. I currently use Vectorcam to generate the gcode on my desktop and
> CNCpro on a notebook to run my mill. One reason for going to linux would
> be to use EMC but For now I would like to try to get linux on the desktop
> first since I understand it can be a pain on notebooks. I would like to
> avoid having to dual boot my machine so would like to be able to run some
> of my software which does not have a linux version available (such as
> Vectorcam) in an emulator or? Someone recommended VMware as a good place
> to look. Does anyone have any other suggestions, free would also be nice
> :). Since I'm a linux newbie I would like to avoid experimental software
> like WINE.

Dang. You've hit the two packages I'm familiar with.

For what it's worth, I'm running RedHat 7.1 on an IBM Thinkpad 600X
running VMWare. The VMWare session runs Windows 98, onto which I've
installed IntelliCAD and the VectorCam demo (I'm ordering the full version
in three days. WOOHOO!) IntelliCAD and VectorCam both run great.

I'm quite happy to have spent the money on VMWare. It's a solid product.
I haven't personally used WINE, but people here have WINE installations
running Windows and Lotus Notes, so chances are it's a pretty good
emulator. I can't say for sure it would do what you want, but chances are
good.

FWIW, I've had very good luck with RedHat 7.0+ on laptops. Previous
versions had a hard time using all the funky hardware that laptops wind up
with. But ever since 7.0, it's picked up pretty much everything I can
throw at it.

The one thing VMWare doesn't do well (and I'm using version 2.x, so
version 3.x might have fixed this) is sound. Sound is seriously
CPU-intensive, so it tends to be choppy unless you're running on a beast
box. (And if discussions of sound drivers on Linux aren't off-topic, I
don't know what is. ;) )

The one step I haven't taken yet is installing VMWare on my EMC box. I
will at some point. But right now the thought gives me the willies.

Tom

Discussion Thread

Al Schoepp 2002-03-10 17:53:27 UTC linux/emc/windows imserv1 2002-03-10 18:41:26 UTC Re: linux/emc/windows Matt Shaver 2002-03-10 21:01:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: linux/emc/windows Ian W. Wright 2002-03-11 07:06:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linux/emc/windows Tom Benedict 2002-03-11 07:54:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linux/emc/windows rehenry 2002-03-11 08:27:40 UTC Re: linux/emc/windows