CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Has anyone set up EMC for windows

Posted by Tom Benedict
on 2002-03-11 07:42:32 UTC
This is a fascinating thread. I run UNIX servers for a living, so I
prefer EMC under Linux to any of the DOS or Windows products out there.
But I know that's me.

One reason why I like EMC so very very much is that it lets me network my
mill machine. I've got a Windows machine I use for CAD work. It's in a
comfortable office, it's got a comfortable chair. It's nice to be able to
remotely mount my CAD directory on the EMC machine. G-code is immediately
available to EMC, so I can run it as soon as I've generated it. Also, I
can run EMC and display to the Windows box. This makes it possible to
verify that EMC can run whatever I've generated, without having to get out
of my chair. By the time I actually go into the shop, I know the code
works with EMC, and it's just a matter of hitting run. No reboots, no
floppies, no nothing.

But I know that someone who hasn't been living and working with UNIX for
years wouldn't have a very easy time setting something like this up.

So here's a question: Would there be any value to having a spin of EMC
that isolated the user from the fact it was running under UNIX? You can
set up any Xwindows session to start whatever programs you want. You
could essentially set up a desktop that had EMC running. When you log in
as the user "emc", it would come up with EMC running. When you quit out
of EMC, it would, it would log you out. Unless you logged in as some
other user, you'd never know it was running on top of UNIX.

There are a lot of "network appliance" devices out there. You can get a
firewall that's got a web interface. You set up the thing via the web
interface, and you're good to go. There are networked disks that are
set up in much the same way. I'm not saying it would be trivial or even
easy, but I could see setting up EMC "network appliances" along similar
lines. You'd install it, reboot it, log into the thing's web interface to
select what kind of machine you're using, how many axes, tune the various
parameters, etc. When you physically log into the machine, it starts EMC
and lets you do nothing but EMC.

Just a thought.

Tom