CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: What price all this homebrew CNC??

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2002-03-12 08:06:09 UTC
Excellent points Ken.
I priced out the actual costs of some relatively "simple" CNC projects and
found that they become cost prohibitive as soon as you assign a value for
your time.
It doesn't even need to be a large hourly rate.
For example, I checked out the possibility of building a 2 axis orbiter for
my sinker EDM.
Mark Fraser (from this list) was good enough to point me in the right
direction to begin (my electronics knowledge is abysmal), and even provided
me with a couple of shortie ballscrews.
I subsequently found a used commercial model, and figure I saved about 5
grand in labour by buying that used unit rather than doing the "roll your
own".
Even if I had bought a brand-new unit right out of the box, I would have
come out ahead with a purchase rather than a build!
I estimated my time at toolmaker's wages; not even half my regular shop
rate.
Course, if I was going to build a hundred of them and sell them, 'twould be
a different thing.

I think there are three ways you can justify doing it yourself:
First, if you just gotta do it because it's just too much fun!!
Second, if you're going to get something you just can't buy!!
Third, if you've got enough of the right kind of background that you can do
all of it efficiently, and have more time than jobs or money (but could get
more jobs if only you had that CNC capability)

For basically commercial users like myself, I can buy a ready-to-run machine
for a lot less than I could ever hope to build it for.
(Of course, that's no excuse for a company to gouge the unwary with an
overpriced piece of crap)

Cheers

Marcus