CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] UPS for computer on CNC lathe

fuddham wrote:

> I have a CNC lathe for my home shop. It is 3 phase, but I have
> seperated the single phase stuff from the 3 phase power from my
> rotary converter. The single phase runs the computer. Do I need to
> put the computer on a UPS system for protedtion during a power
> dip/loss? If I do not use a UPS what will happen if I am running and
> have a power outage?

If you have a significant power outage (over 1/2 second or so)
then the power section of the system (spindle drive and possibly
axis drives, too) will get shut down anyway. Depending on the particular
drives and the alarming system, the machine will likely end up in
Estop, but the position won't be lost (assuming servos and encoders).
Depending on how you do your axis homing and zero offsets,
having the computer shut down too may be hardly any more of a
problem, or it may be a big problem. You don't tell enough in your
question to know.

If you are in Florida, then the UPS is a good idea, and maybe
converting your rotary converter to an inertial UPS would be a good
idea, too.

fuddham 2002-03-19 08:24:14 UTC UPS for computer on CNC lathe Jon Elson 2002-03-19 09:51:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] UPS for computer on CNC lathe Les Newell 2002-03-19 11:38:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] UPS for computer on CNC lathe Stan Stocker 2002-03-19 18:27:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] UPS for computer on CNC lathe Sven Peter 2002-03-20 05:41:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] UPS for computer on CNC lathe