CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] UPS for computer on CNC lathe

Posted by Stan Stocker
on 2002-03-19 18:27:12 UTC
Hi Scott;

With the disclaimer that I'm purely a lurker and have no CNC equipment
currently, but do develop communications subsystems, here is my take:

Any time "bad things" can occur if the power goes out having an UPS is a
good idea.

As you may loose power to your steppers/servos and the rest of the
equipment, you might want to rig up a magnetic starter switch sort of
arrangment using a relay, with the contacts that will close when the
power goes out connected to a kill or limit switch. Bottom line in any
system controlling potentially dangerous or expensive actions is to make
every reasonable effort to have the system fail to a safe condition.
How far you go with this is based on the level of risk to people,
environment, or equipment if it fails to some other state.

If you have power similar to mine, where total power failure is rare but
momentary (< 1 second) flicker is common, the UPS can be a fairly low
cost unit for the CPU. I haven't bothered with using any of the
shutdown options and signals for my situation, but I do get at least 2
or 3 beeps a day from my UPS. When you code for a living, having
flickering power is a real hassle without UPS.

Stan