CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Jeff Davis' CNC Retro Question - Ball screws

Posted by Peter
on 2002-04-05 17:23:38 UTC
Jeff, you have done an outstanding job describing your retrofit step by
step. One thing that I may have missed - how did you finish the ends of
the ball screws you purchased? I can see from your sectional views that
where the ball screw goes thru the bearings - it has been turned down to
fit the bearings. In the X axis view, I can see a shoulder for the
bearings and a dark green item, a nut, I presume. Then there is another
step down in the diameter to accomodate the pulley. Did you have to
anneal the end before machining and threading? Did you use carbide
tooling in the lathe? Any grinding operations?

I'm contemplating a similar bearing/pulley arrangement for my soon to be
built CNC_CAD_CAM plasma cutting table.

Cheers, Peter