CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] More Re: Drive mfrs recommendations for MOTOR cables ?

Posted by Peter
on 2002-04-29 12:17:26 UTC
Hi Ballendo, et all,

Some additional thoughts - I think it was my comment "bigger is better"
regarding wire gauges but this does need qualification here goes:
"within reason". I think most folk have gleaned the key issues and
answers from the various posts. Anywhere from 16G - 22G multistrand
cables will work. Use judgement as to what you select within this
range, based on price, availability, the connectors you will use, your
motor amperage, the max cable lengths etc. Most complex theoretical
design reduces to simple "rules of thumb" when it is applied to the real
world - the trick is to have the judgement to sensibly apply these rules
of thumb. It helps to understand the theory behind those rules and most
of the theory has been discussed (issues of inductance, capacitance,
resistance etc.) for its relevance.

I run 4 conductor foil shield 18G cables for my BP clone mill which uses
6A per phase steppers on all axes. I chose this gauge partly because it
is a convenient size to work with, it fits nicely into my AMP/Tyco CPC
connectors and it is relatively rugged and durable in a workshop
environment. It also was available in 100' rolls for C$34 (~US$20). I
made sure that all cables were given large loops (6-8" rad) to
distribute the flex over a greater length of cable. In 14 months and
~1300 hours of use, I have not observed any problems with this cable.
On your concern about cable flex and aluminum foil shielding - based on
my many years of experience with foil shielded cables in a mobile
environment (connecting electronics together on buses) we never
experienced problems with the foil shield breaking down - even where it
received a lot of flexing. (We used AMP CPC connectors) Where there is
cable movement near the table, I think if we design for reasonable
radius cable curves e.g. greater than a 2-3" radius (the bigger the
better) you need not worry. If we were designing 500 - 1000 IPM rapid
traverse machines running on a 24/7 basis then super flexible cables
with a braided shield would be mandatory and the extra cost justified.
FYI, I tried to find a reasonably priced shielded super flexible cable
but could not (at the time) find someone to sell it by the foot.

For those designing large area gantry router tables or plasma cutters -
I think the cable issue is more complex and probably needs greater
consideration for superflexible cables (Olflex etc.). This is because
the cables (particularly the long axis) usually run in cable trays and
there is a lot more movement of the cables. Here, a key issue is
mechanical fatigue in the cables. Often speeds are much higher than on
a mill table. With so much potential movement I personally, would
recommend a super flexible cable with a conductor gauge suitable for the
amperage of that application.

I recall that DIN connectors were originally designed for audio
applications (connecting microphones etc.) But they seem to be much
higher rated than I expected. Looking at the tech data at this link:
http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/TE/docs/pdf/5/39/157935.pdf
I see the contacts were tested at 250 Volts and 7.5 amps - wow! They
will work just fine in a home CNC application! One benefit of them over
a D connector is that they will be easier to solder a larger wire and
they are designed to terminate a cable shield. They also have a good
cable strain relief. Note, they're still only spec'd to 20G.

Skin effect is only a design issue/concern when you are working in the
High Frequency range (megahertz and up).

For significantly different cable lengths, use your judgement. Maybe a
slightly heavier gauge cable is justified (or should be considered) for
a 14' run as compared to a 3' run.

Running an 18G conductor to a single D-Connector pin is going to be
difficult to terminate (solder or crimp) and while it can be made to
work, it is kind of like connecting two 3/4" ID water hoses together
with a 1/4" ID coupling. You will still get some water flow, but the
coupling "resistance" will be significant. Ditto in a D-connector pin.
Also, the space betwen contacts is pretty tight - increasing the
risk of shorts. (i.e. "dead geckos"...) The pin contact resistance
will, at high continuous currents, become significant and start to warm
up and degrade its useful life. Eventually if you try and draw more
current (unlikely in our applications) you will start a fire... In
other words, use a conductor wire gauge that the connector is designed for.

In terms of how to terminate a connector - follow the manufacturer's
instructions as closely as possible. Take your time and take care to do
it right the first time.

The AMP/Tyco website has TONS of data at http://www.tycoelectronics.com/
including detailed instructions on how much wire to strip, how to
terminate etc. This data is backed up by decades of manufacturing
experience.

That's it from me on this topic...

Cheers, Peter