CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

re:: Re: CAD CAM Controller software

on 2002-05-05 23:50:16 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Elliot Burke" <elliot@h...> wrote:
> John S. writes:
> >If you are happy using Autocad 2000 that fine. With Dolphin you have
> >a choice. You can import into the CAD side as a dxf file and specify
> >which of the shapes need to be your toolpath, or you can draw the
> >shape you need for the toolpath and import that straight into the
> >CAM system.

> >So far I've taught four people on this list who used another low cost
> >program how to program in Dolphin. All four have found it far easier
> >and dropped the other program.
>
>The DXF exports
> are flat, and contain no Z information.
> I really don't want to recreate my geometry in AutoCAD.

Elliot,

There's no need to recreate your geometry in Autocad. I receive quite a few drawings in dxf format, which were originally created as solids. These can be imported straight into Dolphin.

For the Dolphin Cam system to use this dxf drawing, the contours for machining have to be created/converted as polylines. If this wasn't done already in the dxf file, you can use the Dolphin Cad to create the NC Contours (Polylines), or you can do this in Autocad (or other Cad system's) if you prefer.

I prefer to use the Dolphin Cad module to create the NC Contours, because you can add 'Z surface' and 'depth' information which the Cam system automatically extracts for machining. To create an NC contour, you simply click on your start point, give it Z values etc. when prompted, then the system automatically traces around your existing geometry, no need for any re-drawing!

If you use AutoCAD (or other Cad) to create your NC Contours (polylines) for import direct into the Dolphin Cam module, from the 'View' menu in Dolphin Cam you can add 'work surface' and 'depth' information by going to the 'Geometry info' function.

Of course, you don't even have to do this, you can use the 'flat' drawing directly. All of the machining operations allow you to manually alter/add depth information. I prefer to add the Z values to the NC Contours because because it then displays the 'depth' in the 'ISO view'.

If any Dolphin users on this list are unsure of how to do any of the above, please feel free to contact me on or off list, and I will be happy to give guidance.

Dave Pearson

> Thanks.
>
> Elliot

Discussion Thread

Elliot Burke 2002-05-05 18:22:47 UTC re:: Re: CAD CAM Controller software follicely_challenged 2002-05-05 23:50:16 UTC re:: Re: CAD CAM Controller software follicely_challenged 2002-05-05 23:51:03 UTC re:: Re: CAD CAM Controller software stevenson_engineers 2002-05-06 03:05:30 UTC re:: Re: CAD CAM Controller software Marcus & Eva 2002-05-06 08:22:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re:: Re: CAD CAM Controller software scott wilson 2002-05-06 08:47:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re:: Re: CAD CAM Controller software Tim Goldstein 2002-05-06 08:58:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re:: Re: CAD CAM Controller software