CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re:: Re: CAD CAM Controller software

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2002-05-06 08:22:43 UTC
Hi Elliot:
I just want to slip in a word edgewise; I've had lots of problems in the
past trying to use DXF files created in Solidworks and then brought into CAM
systems.
Lots of discontinuities and multiple entities that screw up the chaining
process.
I suspect that you will have the same problems.
I have had poor success with IGES imports because I get spline output for
arcs.
Major PITA.
Best for me has been Parasolid output from Solidworks...but I go into
Mastercam (which accepts Parasolid inputs)
I get excellent geometry transfer and edge curves that I can ACTUALLY USE!!!
All other file transfer protocols I've tried have been hit or miss.
I agree with you, it's a real pain to recreate geometry just for the CAM
system.
I do all my 2D cutting from the edge curves, and save the surfaces for 3D.
I've tried high end surfacing for 2D stuff (Feature recognition and all that
Jazz) but I've found it to be both slower and also less certain than
standard boring old 2D from edge curves.
Hope this is useful
Cheers

Marcus