CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re:VectorCad opinions/ overall gripe (long)

on 2002-05-31 01:29:12 UTC
>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Chris L <datac@l...> wrote:
>
> Carol & Jerry Jankura wrote:
>
> >>I've yet to see a program that has NO shortcomings.<<<
>
> Jerry,
> You strike a point with me that just grinds me to no end.
>Obviously, you too have come across certain Cad apps that come so
>stinking close to what you want them to be, but they for some reason
>never
> ever get to that level. You can send the e-mail, make suggestions,
>write lengthy documents indicating the advantages or disadvantages,
>but nothing comes from it.
> So while I am on my Rant, I want to mention something about
>Vector. .
>
> But, while they are concerning themselves with "Nurbs" and such,
>What about some of the basic common sence things for a 32 bit
>program. User configurable tool bars perhaps ??? >> Draw - Other -
> Offset >>> Too Deep !!
>
> In the same vein of thought, One should not have to "Draw" Contour
>for a toolpath. When you want to creat a toolpath around the
>perimeter of a drawn part, you should be able to select a Contour
> tooling option that Opens a dialog box very similar to the
>pocketing one. Enter in stock to leave, Tool radius or diameter and
>also you z depths and passes. This is plain and simple. I sure hope
> Vector fixes such items as I would regard as common sense.
>

> Know what i mean ??? Will we ever see an Ultimate program ???
>
> Chris L

Chris,
Good post and to answer your last question first NO we won't so we
all want different things out of a program.
First off where possible I like to deal with a program where I can
speak to the boss or head programmer if possible. Salesmen only have
one thing in mind.
I use a CAD program called Fastcad. You can talk to Mike Riddle the
guy who writes it and you get good feedback. Even so things don't
always go right. Their new V7 is long on the fancy 3D bits but they
have missed a lot of the basic 2D stuff out. If you check their forum
a lot of people have decided to stick with V6.

As regards the toolpath in Vector this is something I have never
worked out. They ask the tool size and do nothing with that
information. If the program knows it's a 0.500" cutter then the
toolpath needs to be 0.250" bigger / smaller.
As you say a lot of these try to run before they can walk and just
ignore the users remarks.

John S.

Discussion Thread

Chris L 2002-05-30 17:25:17 UTC Re:VectorCad opinions/ overall gripe (long) stevenson_engineers 2002-05-31 01:29:12 UTC Re:VectorCad opinions/ overall gripe (long) RC 2002-05-31 04:39:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:VectorCad opinions/ overall gripe (long) Chris L 2002-06-01 05:59:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:VectorCad opinions/ overall gripe (long)