CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:VectorCad opinions/ overall gripe (long)

Posted by RC
on 2002-05-31 04:39:04 UTC
Chris ...... you have some good points, but you missed a big one for all cad
and cad/cam type programs, and that is to import "AI" files which is an
Adobe filter.... Why you ask? Because if you do any amount of scanning and
need to import the file into any cad program (Corel is not a typical cad
program) like Autosketch, it changes the smooth curves into many many short
lines!! But if the cad and cad/cam programs had a AI filter, then editing
the few node points would be some much easier.... I know cad/cam have a
spline converter..... the results are just not the same, and if they also
had the Adobe filter, it would not be needed!

RC
----- Original Message -----
From: Chris L <datac@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 5:38 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:VectorCad opinions/ overall gripe (long)

> Carol & Jerry Jankura wrote:
>
> >>I've yet to see a program that has NO shortcomings.<<<
>
> Jerry,
> You strike a point with me that just grinds me to no end. Obviously, you
too have come across certain Cad apps that come so stinking close to what
you want them to be, but they for some reason never
> ever get to that level. You can send the e-mail, make suggestions, write
lengthy documents indicating the advantages or disadvantages, but nothing
comes from it.

> Then on top of that, you find out that they decided to forget those basic
things and start down a road towards the rediculous. For example:

> Signlab. (a program that has shown me it can create toolpaths gobs faster
than any of the Cam programs I have used especially when any text work is
desired)

> Instead of improving "control" of just a few little issues in the
configurable "post" .ini's to make various machines respond better....
Instead of adding a few simple true "Cad" tools like Trimming
> instead of "welding".... They go off and spend all their development money
becoming a "web Host" for sign shops ! foooyeeee !

> AutoSketch. An excellent under $100 answer to cad. Well, all except for a
few simple little things that people have been reporting for more than 2
versions.

> For one, They brilliantly installed a method for defining a "default snap
set". Excellent ! But, when you turn off one snap at a time as you are
drawing. There is NO WAY of turning the "default set"
> back On !! ( well, I do it with a macro program)
>
> Another issue is "line widths". Now they have generously given you over 50
line "styles". But, they give you only 5 line "widths" ! On top of that the
consist of "tooooo big" or "tooooo small" !! So
> users report it for over two years in AutoDesks own newsgroup which IS
visited by a moderator. Did they fix it with the new version 8 release? No.
They acted like no one ever complained about such a
> problem.. Never heard such a thing..... !!! They threw the same old
program ( with 12 super secret fixes according to an AD representative in
the group) out as a NEW version. They did raise the
> price, remove all printed documentation and slapped an approved for XP
sticker on a new shiny print box. Whooopeee.

> So while I am on my Rant, I want to mention something about Vector. I KNOW
vector is the most bang for the buck out there. I KNOW it can be setup to do
incredible things and I KNOW the support is
> fantastic.
>
> But, while they are concerning themselves with "Nurbs" and such, What
about some of the basic common sence things for a 32 bit program. User
configurable tool bars perhaps ??? >> Draw - Other -
> Offset >>> Too Deep !!
>
> In the same vein of thought, One should not have to "Draw" Contour for a
toolpath. When you want to creat a toolpath around the perimeter of a drawn
part, you should be able to select a Contour
> tooling option that Opens a dialog box very similar to the pocketing one.
Enter in stock to leave, Tool radius or diameter and also you z depths and
passes. This is plain and simple. I sure hope
> Vector fixes such items as I would regard as common sense.
>
> If I could have a Cad/Cam ultimate, it would consist of the following
applications and their techniques:

> Corel Draw-
> Who can deny the usefullness of good old Corel ? Corel techniques let you
do the Artsy Fartsy editing you need to do if you are going to do anything
related to signage and images. Others try as they
> may, but they never get to the point Corel lets you take an Vector Image.
>
> SignLab-
> Signlabs techniques for actually engraving, routing or machining Text is
still not matched by most Cad/Cam apps even though they are toughted as
capable. Sure some can do it, but in how many steps ?
> In S-Lab, you type some text, put it where you want, drag a box around the
whole shebang and select what type of toolpath you want. Male, female,
online or pocket. It does it. Raised text just by
> defining an overall outside dimension, combining them all and kerpow. Done
deal. Toolpath is generated in split seconds once tooling, speeds and feeds
are defined.

> AutoSketch-
> Sketch has enough drawing options that one does not need to spend anymore
than its price for really good 2d Cad. Its been said before, If you use
A-CadLt.... you will not adapt to this program
> easily. That does not make it bad. At the shop, here and there we would
run our little "races" when the office handed us a paper drawing with
dimensions scratched on it, that they wanted drawn. A
> good "sketchie" has more often than not outrun those with the "other"
apps. Well, all except Ashlar !

> Ashlar-
> If youv'e used it, you know how useful it is, and how above and beyond
they "were". As of late, however, many more cad apps are using techniques
they had 10 years ago. This could be due to
> copyrights and such...
>
> VectorCam-
> Vector Cam has a really good routine for importing DXF files. Golly, I
think this is the first program that I do NOT have to worry about "dupes"
and other issues creeping in. Its "Reorganize"
> function is an Awesome addition not found in other apps. Just let me make
the "buttons" do what I want and where I want them !

> Surfcam-
> I could be dreaming here, but, This is the bigger dollar one I spent the
most time in.

> It draws like junk ( cadkey-ish), Ok, not like junk, just painfully slow
with having to grab basic commands over and over and over...... Add to that
the newer versions drawing tools as displayed
> along the top keep moving around all the time ! You start to feel like it
is some arcade game and you are chasing buttons like little animals with a
gun !

> Anyhow, Surfcams CAM end is very nice. Toolpaths are relatively dependable
( not for text work however -stupid "explode" methods...) and all of the
"setup" goodies you could ever want are there in
> the followup windows for feeds, speeds and plunge techniques.
>
> On top of that, their Toolpath "management" window/display is excellent.
Rename, Re-work, reorganize, retool, gee, do what you want here before
creating code. It does take longer to get code with
> this technique though....and I will add that Signlab creates code hands
down faster than most I've dealt with.

> The above really only covers 2, 2-1/2 d methods.
>
> Ok, ending Rant now. If I was ever smart enough to write an application
for Cad/Cam ( i'm not ), I would FIRST order up every Demo I could find to
extract the good things others use, then rely
> heavily on users input. I would refrain from moving to step 5 if I did not
get step 2 finished.

> Know what i mean ??? Will we ever see an Ultimate program ???
>
> Chris L

> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
you have trouble.