CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: power outages

Posted by Rich Dean
on 2000-01-16 13:30:38 UTC
Thanks Dan,
I thought maybe that was the case, but I was hoping there was some new
diamond *cutter* that I could use. I have a NH IXL machine and all the
tackle for it too. Most of my work is cut engraving. I will be doing
some with cnc, soon as I get this Sherline 5400 finished. Rich Dean

Dan Falck wrote:
> Rich,
> That is correct- non-rotating. The technique is called "Diamond drag" .
> The diamond point is literally drug through the surface of the part. The
> point will usually ride on the surface a bit, because the point is a 120
> degree angle (not sure) and not dig in too far. With a pantograph, you
> have to run the pattern repeated times to plow deeper into the piece. I
> use my CNC mill/drill with the bit chucked into the collet, with a dial
> indicator stuck to the quill. The indicator helps me set up the part.
> Usually, I touch the diamond onto the piece (just touch it) raise the quill
> .030", tell the control that the quill is at .032" then start the program.
> I know that this is hell on the spindle bearings of this machine, but at
> this point, I don't even care. I have other machines to do actual milling
> and this machine is just an engraver now.
> The New Hermes pantograph has a follower nose on the head that lets it ride
> up and down on curved surfaces, using rotating bits, but I think that the
> diamond bit gives a superior finish and the follower leaves light scratches
> that need to be buffed out.
>
> Dan

Discussion Thread

Dan Falck 2000-01-16 00:00:44 UTC Re: power outages David M. Munro 2000-01-16 05:48:16 UTC Re: power outages Dan Falck 2000-01-16 07:10:00 UTC Re: power outages Rich Dean 2000-01-16 08:12:25 UTC Re: power outages Dan Falck 2000-01-16 09:55:54 UTC Re: power outages Rich Dean 2000-01-16 13:30:38 UTC Re: power outages