CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Sherline mill z-axis motor

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 2000-01-17 12:08:02 UTC
This would be a build your own type of project, but this is how I would go
about it.
Get a stepper motor and one of the Sherline mounts from Dan Mauch at
Camtronics ( http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/ ) You will find these listed at
the bottom of his products page. Then get a 1 axis chopper type stepper
driver. I don't have the link here at work, but if you remind me I will dig
up a link to a site that sells a 2 amp 1 axis chopper kit for $35.00 (Dan
M., maybe you can point me to this again. I saw it as a link in the online
version of the Seattle Robotics Society Encoder newsletter).

Than you hook the driver to an appropriate power supply and control it with
a 555 timer and a switch for direction. Total cost would be in the US$ 110 -
$150 range and if you use a dual shaft motor you can still crank the axis by
hand.

Tim
[Denver, CO]

> From: marc@...
>
> I am not a machinist. I don't even play one on T.V.
> I am just a humble engineer that enjoys making chips.
> I have a Sherline 2000 mill with a DRO and it seems
> that I spend half of my machining time turning the
> z-axis handle to get the cutting tool out of the way
> or get it back down again.
> Is there an easily adaptable motor that I could
> mount on the Z-axis to do the work for me? It doesn't
> need to have feedback; I'm just looking for a faster
> and easier way to move the cutter up and down.
> Any help would be appreciated!!--Marc

Discussion Thread

marc@x... 2000-01-17 11:06:50 UTC Sherline mill z-axis motor Tim Goldstein 2000-01-17 12:08:02 UTC Re: Sherline mill z-axis motor WAnliker@x... 2000-01-17 12:59:07 UTC Re: Sherline mill z-axis motor PTENGIN@x... 2000-01-17 13:05:53 UTC Re: Sherline mill z-axis motor Tim Goldstein 2000-01-17 23:09:30 UTC RE: Sherline mill z-axis motor Gary Passon 2000-01-18 08:42:46 UTC Re: Sherline mill z-axis motor