CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Cables between driver board and Steppers

on 2002-09-08 18:10:05 UTC
Hi Bruce,

Why not just get the connectors, and some 18 or 20 gauge wire, and wire
up your own cables? Then slip some flexible sheathing over it, and
you're in business. The wires in a "modem cable" are liable to be
insuficient, as they are not intended to carry current. I've use the
DB9 connectors for years.

A crimp tool works great, but you can also solder the wires. Removable
pins are perhaps the best choice, as they can be moved around later, if
needed (great for the printer to driver cable).

Alan KM6VV

turbulatordude wrote:

> <snip>
>
> > Be sure you use a fully wired 25 wire cable.
>
> I found that all of my 'fully wired' cables have one ground wire with
> a solder bridge on each connector. I had planned on isolating the +5
> and to use some of the grounds.
>
> Dave
>
> > Modem cables, 9 pin serial, 25 pin serial and 25 pin laplink are
> very short on wire.
> > RichD
> >
> > B Snowden wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a Camtronics 2 amp driver card with 100 oz steppers. I
> would
> > > like to have a setup that I can securely plug in a cable at the
> board
> > > and
> > > at the mill. Can I use a 9 pin modem cable to connect between
> the two ?
> > >
> > > Is this heavy enough with proper shielding ?
> > >
> > > If so, can I drive two steppers with one cable ? As the motors
> only
> > > require 4 wires, or should I use a seperate cable for each axis ?
> > >
> > > If not, what type of cables would be proper ?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Bruce

Discussion Thread

B Snowden 2002-09-08 11:04:28 UTC Cables between driver board and Steppers RichD 2002-09-08 12:01:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cables between driver board and Steppers Tony Jeffree 2002-09-08 13:19:12 UTC Re: Cables between driver board and Steppers turbulatordude 2002-09-08 14:56:25 UTC Re: Cables between driver board and Steppers Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-09-08 18:10:05 UTC Re: Cables between driver board and Steppers B Snowden 2002-09-08 23:02:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Cables between driver board and Steppers Myron Cherry 2002-09-08 23:52:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Cables between driver board and Steppers