CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Cables between driver board and Steppers

Posted by Tony Jeffree
on 2002-09-08 13:19:12 UTC
At 19:33 08/09/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>I have a Camtronics 2 amp driver card with 100 oz steppers. I would
>like to have a setup that I can securely plug in a cable at the board
>and
>at the mill. Can I use a 9 pin modem cable to connect between the two ?
>
>Is this heavy enough with proper shielding ?
>
>If so, can I drive two steppers with one cable ? As the motors only
>require 4 wires, or should I use a seperate cable for each axis ?
>
>If not, what type of cables would be proper ?

D-type connectors are a bit on the small side for stepper motor wiring
IMHO. Some low-power systems use the "DIN" style audio connectors, which
are a better bet.

The heavy duty "XLR" plugs/sockets often used in high power audio systems
seem to be a much better option - their pins are rated up to about 15A
(each), and they are easier to solder than the DIN plugs, as the pins have
a wider separation and the solder terminals are able to take heavier gauge
wire. They also have locking clips built in to prevent accidental
disconnection. There is a 4-pin variant of the XLR that looks perfect for
stepper motor connection.

Regards,
Tony

Discussion Thread

B Snowden 2002-09-08 11:04:28 UTC Cables between driver board and Steppers RichD 2002-09-08 12:01:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cables between driver board and Steppers Tony Jeffree 2002-09-08 13:19:12 UTC Re: Cables between driver board and Steppers turbulatordude 2002-09-08 14:56:25 UTC Re: Cables between driver board and Steppers Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-09-08 18:10:05 UTC Re: Cables between driver board and Steppers B Snowden 2002-09-08 23:02:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Cables between driver board and Steppers Myron Cherry 2002-09-08 23:52:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Cables between driver board and Steppers