CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 5-Axis help

on 2002-09-17 08:57:36 UTC
Thanks for the great insight on the industry. It's what I need. As
for the software, I use Alias|Wavefront Maya & Studio Tools for my
modeling. Studio Tools is supposed to integrate smoothly with CNC
milling though I have not attempted it yet. My roommate works for a
company that has provided him with MasterCAM on his laptop. He has
been grateful in teaching me how to use it.
After doing all of the research and reading your statements, I am
considering designing a 3-axis machine instead. I also like the idea
of the hexapod because of its coolness factor :). My main concern
with a 3-axis mill is the depth at which it can cut without hitting
the rest of the 3d object. For example, when milling something like
the hull of a boat, how deep will I be able to go without hitting the
peak (example from Doug Fortune: http://www.janicki.com/. smaller
scale of course)? But if you agree that it can be milled in sections,
I'm happy with that.
I will be milling clay, foam, and hopefully plastic and wood. I, of
course, would like the best tolerance but can work with what I can
afford. I have no need for mass production so a fast machine is not
necessary.
I really do appreciate all of your comments. I realize that I am very
ambitious and "walking before you run" can save me a lot of money and
frustration.

Cheers!

Isaiah Bellais

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Peter <prenolds@s...> wrote:
> No offence, Isaiah, but I did have a good chuckle when I got to the
last
> couple of lines of your post! Don't worry, as the others have
suggested
> we can definitely help you out, but you will reap huge rewards for
your
> final successful outcome if you invest a tiny bit more time in
research...

> Read the FAQ's at
>
> http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
>
> and follow the links that are posted as you need to familiarise
yourself
> with more machine designs and driver designs. Also, you need to
> consider walking before you run. As you evolve your machine
design,
> consider designing for three axis but leave provision for
additional
> degrees of freedom in a subsequent upgrade of your machine. Many
here
> have started with three axes and and added a 4th as budget and
> experience permit. It isn't just having a 5 axis machine at your
> disposal, it is knowing how to use it without crashing it... Also,
many
> complex parts are now being made (prototyped) with solid
lithographic
> printing technologies. Realistically, a 5th axis is rarely
required for
> most designs - you can always make your design in sections and
assemble
> etc.
>
> Your intended work envelope is very ambitious for a first timer.
You
> will save time and money if you start smaller - remember you can
always
> scale your designs later. Also, what do you intend to machine?
Wood?
> Foam? Stainless steel? Huge differences in machine stiffness
> requirements. What tolerances do you want to
maintain? .001"? .010"?
> How fast do you want the tool head to move? Faster = more $$$
Lots of
> things to consider!
>
> If you are studying ID you likely have access to a solid modelling
> package? What is it? Also, you will learn that good design
includes
> such things as "design for manufacture" which means that while
anything
> can be made, taking into account good DFM practices, it can
probably be
> made (and serviced and repaired) easier, cheaper with minimal loss
of
> appearence or features. i.e. you could design for the part to be
made
> on a 3 axis mill - in sections. The final design would probably be
> injection moulded anyway and that introduces a whole bunch of
additional
> design abnd manufacture issues. You also will learn about
ergononomics
> etc. Making things look cool and be easy to use is always an
exciting
> challenge. Wait till you put your design in the hands of users and
see
> how they mis-use and abuse your intended design. It will blow your
mind
> - but remember, users will also give you the best feedback about
what
> they like and don't like and your design will be better for the
input.

> One thing that will reap huge benefits to you is in building your
own
> CNC mill, and then trying to make stuff, you will learn about all
of the
> practical challenges and compromises that exist when the "tool hits
the
> metal"... The reason that 5 axis machines are relatively rare is
that
> not only is the machine more complex, but the CAM software that
> translates the solid model into 5 axis movement is always machine
> specific and VERY expensive as there are so many variables to take
into
> account.
>
> Read, read, read and ask lots of questions. Good luck.
>
> Cheers, Peter
>

> isaiah_bellais wrote:
>
> >Hello all. I am interested in building a 5 axis router mill like
the
> >one here: http://www.ctek-on-line.com/5axisgm2.html. Of course the
> >one I have in mind is much smaller.
> >A little back ground; I am a beginner industrial designer and know
> >that some of the big companies have their prototypes built in
these
> >big machines. Most of the work that I do can easily be done on a
> >smaller 5-axis gantry mill. I would like to mill something in a 2'-
> >3' cube area. Has anyone attempted to build anything like this? Is
> >it feasible? I'm a bit lucky that I can get an aluminum frame
built
> >for next to nothing but my main problem is the drivers to run the
> >stepper motors. The 5-axis drivers are considerably more expensive
> >than their 3-axis siblings. Why? I have no knowledge of
electronics
> >so I can't design a driver myself. I've noticed tons of home built
3-
> >axis drivers on the web but can't seem to find any 5-axis drivers.
> >Has anyone on this discussion board built a driver for this type
of
> >application? If so, are you willing to help a struggling
student? :)
> >Am I in over my head? Although I'm not very knowledgeable with
> >electronics, I am very technical and don't get discouraged easily.
> >have been researching this for about two weeks now and am hung on
> >this one problem. Please help!
> >
> >Cheers!
> >Isaiah Bellais
> >

> >Addresses:
> >FAQ: http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
> >
> >OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> >If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach
it if you have trouble.
> >http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> >NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........