CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 1/8" Spindle - brainstorming

Posted by Brian Punkar
on 2002-09-19 00:33:56 UTC
It depends on the spindle type but it seems like you could just buy a
blank taper or build one and bore it out to accept a pencil die
grinder. Stuff the air line up the spindle bore and set the taper in
the spindle.

Now you have a long skinny tool that goes like heck, just don't turn
on the main spindle motor or the air hose is toast.

I'm assuming most mills are "hollow" through the spindle for the
draw bolt.

Brian
BSP

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "vrsculptor" <vrsculptor@h...> wrote:
> I had a good idea that I don't quite know how to pull off. My mill
> will handle a 1" end mill. I was thinking that if I could fabricate
> a spindle with a 1" OD and a shaft with a 1/8" collet I could chuck
> it in the end mill holder. You could power it through a cog belt
> from a router motor mounted on the mill's spindle. This would give
> me the ability to mount a high speed spindle for small tools
without
> loosing my x/y position. Height could be handled through tool
length
> compensation. To the mill its just a tool change. Probably not
> continuous duty but OK for my playing.
>
> Some problems are:
> * Where can I find a spindle with a collet mount. I like this one
> but its OD is too large: http://www.use-enco.com/pdfs/170.PDF
> * Can you fit enough shaft and bearings in the 1" OD to be rigid
> enough to use? I think the taig spindle is almost 2".
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Roger

Discussion Thread

vrsculptor 2002-09-18 21:19:07 UTC 1/8" Spindle - brainstorming Brian Punkar 2002-09-19 00:33:56 UTC Re: 1/8" Spindle - brainstorming Marv Frankel 2002-09-19 03:46:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 1/8" Spindle - brainstorming JJ 2002-09-19 06:07:16 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 1/8" Spindle - brainstorming caudlet 2002-09-19 07:38:51 UTC Re: 1/8" Spindle - brainstorming