CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] mounting ballscrews onthe ol mini mill help

Kayla Sanders wrote:

> i have just recently purchased some warner electric 3/8 inch
> ballscrews and nuts and am trying to figure out a way to mount them
> in my mini mill without extensive mods to the mill(mainly because i
> dont have anything else to machine it with!)
>
> im wondering if i absolutely have to use thrust bearings when i
> mount them to the table or if i can use good quality precision
> bearings ,if held firmly on both sides?
> i mean, how much axial force is really going to be put on the
> bearings with a mini mill anyway?
> i ask this because finding thrust bearings to fit this ballscrew
> after machining the ends down to 5/16ths or so is looking to be
> impossible. i can find precision bearings all over the place that
> would fit snuggly on the ends.
> and i think that if i enclose the bearings just down to the
> ballscrew with the motor mounting plate on both sides, that this
> would work.

I designed my mill (full-size Bridgeport) to deliver 1000 Lbs of linear
force to the table. I don't know what size or type of motors you
have, but you have to consider crash loads, too. You WILL have a
few crashes learning this! Angular contact bearings should be
available in all sizes.

Kayla Sanders 2002-10-02 00:40:51 UTC mounting ballscrews onthe ol mini mill help Les Watts 2002-10-02 06:24:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] mounting ballscrews onthe ol mini mill help dazedNconfused 2002-10-02 08:00:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] mounting ballscrews onthe ol mini mill help Marcus & Eva 2002-10-02 08:32:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] mounting ballscrews onthe ol mini mill help Jon Elson 2002-10-02 09:28:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] mounting ballscrews onthe ol mini mill help Ian W. Wright 2002-10-02 14:17:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] mounting ballscrews onthe ol mini mill help Les Watts 2002-10-02 15:55:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] mounting ballscrews onthe ol mini mill help bjammin@i... 2002-10-03 04:37:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] mounting ballscrews onthe ol mini mill help