CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] mounting ballscrews onthe ol mini mill help

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2002-10-02 08:32:39 UTC
Hi All:
You can also split up the functions of the bearings by using radial
bearings and putting separate ball thrust washers on the ends.
It can be a bit screwy trying to figure out how to accommodate the extra
bearings, but it's a method I've used with success on other kinds of
applications where I needed good thrust capacity and couldn't get what I
needed in a single bearing.
In this application, an argument could be made that thrust capacity is more
important than precise radial running.
The argument goes like this: so what if the screw flops around a bit
radially...we care most about about eliminating backlash in the drive;
that's why we went to all the trouble to get ballscrews.
If the screw is free to flop around radially, it can self-adjust for
misalignment between motor, screw, and nut.

So....is this argument bullshit???: or does it have some merit???
I await enlightened responses.

Cheers

Marcus