CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Brushless servo motor + gecko drive

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 2002-10-08 09:20:49 UTC
These are brushless motors and currently there is not a Gecko drive
available that would run them. There is a G420/440 brushless drive listed as
becoming available soon, but you would need to check with Gecko to see if
this is a suitable motor for the not yet available drive. My guess is that
this motor is major overkill for a Sherline. Most Sherline conversion are
done with stepper motors and it seems that 150 in/oz is the starting point
for good performance. Generally you can replace a stepper with a lower
continuous torque rated servo (lots of reason to not get into here).

So unless Mariss is going to deliver the new brushless drives very soon,
they do work with this motor, and you can get a great deal on this motor I
would suggest you go with steppers for your first attempt at CNC.

BTW, regarding converting a Sherline to CNC. I just did a lathe and am
starting on a mill. I am using the genuine Sherline conversion kits. They
are super quality and much nicer than any of the after market set-ups I have
seen. I converted a Sherline mill a few years ago using an after market kit
and there is no comparison in the quality and design of the conversion. My
suggestion is to spend the money and get the Sherline conversion kits.

Tim
[Denver, CO]
Discount NEMA 23 steppers motors
www.KTMarketing.com/CNC.html