CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: what's better?

Posted by dakota8833
on 2002-10-11 10:57:55 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
> afogassa wrote:
>
> > Hi, all
> >
> > I'm getting ready to install a servo drive+ motor to my gantry,
> > And I'm wondering if I should conect the servo to the shaft using
> > direct coupling or use a timing belt in a 2 to 1 ratio.
> > Torque should be no problem in either configuration.
> > What would be better?
> >

> It depends on the ratings of the motor. First, see if you can
determine
> the
> available torque, and top speed at some voltage. If the motor has
lots
> of speed to spare, then you can use a belt reduction. If the top
speed in
> direct drive is close to the speed you want to achieve, then you
CAN'T
> use a reduction.

I drive direct because of the high speeds I need. If torque is no
problem and speed is important then don't reduce.Quality couplers are
cheaper than a belt reduction asmy. What is your ratio direct coupled
? What is the encoder counts per inch of travel. What controller
software are you using and can it keep up at high speeds. I plan on
increasing torque on my router though belt and pully. Rather than
increasing lead screw pitch ( there is a limit on how many rpms you
can turn a long unsuported screw ). Also with reduction encoder counts
go up ,.. can the controller software handle it or will you need to
change encoders.

Let us know

Frank

Discussion Thread

afogassa 2002-10-09 20:40:16 UTC what's better? Jon Elson 2002-10-10 23:32:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] what's better? dakota8833 2002-10-11 10:57:55 UTC Re: what's better? afogassa 2002-10-11 16:43:33 UTC Re: what's better? dakota8833 2002-10-12 07:43:51 UTC Re: what's better?